Friday, July 1, 2016

Character Animation in VR

One of the really cool things about MARUI is that you can take your existing character rig and start animating it in VR.

In order to properly test that, I went out and bought a rig... and it worked right out of the box in MARUI:

Video of my first attempt to animate this little rascal.
My animation skills suck, but you get the idea.

You can see how I use the left controller to flip through the frames,
and the animation menu (SHIFT + TIME buttons) to set keyframes and turn ghosting on or off.

I have yet to make the use of the animation menu a bit easier.

The real cool thing gets a bit lost in the video at the end:
because you now have two hands, you can still move objects while flipping through the frames. So if you have Auto-Keyframe enabled, you can make animations superfast: push the time with the left hand and push the object with the right. Done!

One thing I have to admit though: even though it is a low-poly rig, it dropped the framerate on my 2-year-old notebook to about 30. It's still usable, but I saw visible juddering in the Vive. Guess I have to optimize the code a bit... or finally buy "VR ready" hardware.

Give it a try on your own rig and let me know if you're having any troubles:
www.marui-plugin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment